Me

Me

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Three Sisters Pie (Triple Berry Pie)

Hello, my lovelies! I'm back at the blogging game since I have a new phone :) Have I got a real treat for all of you wonderful people.
     One fun fact about myself is that I absolutely adore berries. I love any fruit, really, but berries are truly exceptional in my book. I could snack on them all day. This pie is a classic in my family since it is berry-licious and oh so easy to make. The filling becomes sweet (but not too sweet) and bubbly, and the crust gets wonderfully browned and beautiful in the oven. The icing on top of this proverbial cake is the lattice on the top crust. I think it adds something special and turns it up a notch . I cannot stress how much I adore this pie.

... I have a confession to make, though--I did not make my own crust. Shocking, I know! Honestly, I feel like making crust can be a bit of a hassle. First of all, it is time consuming. I'm a busy woman and don't have all the time in the world to worry about something like pastry crust. In addition to the time issue, there's the fact that if you mess up in the slightest while making crust, it ruins the whole pie. For us people out there who don't make crust every day and are therefore not practicing the delicate art of pastry, Pillsbury (or any decent knock-off brand) is our Superman. Besides, who could possibly resist the charms of the precious Pillsbury doughboy? Not I. Certainly not I. For this recipe, I just bought a box of 2 ready-to-bake pie crusts. All you have to do is unroll the crust, put it in the pie tin, and toss it in the oven.

Without further adieu, I will reveal this truly wonderful pie recipe.

 For the filling, you will need:
12 oz. each of thawed, unsweetened blueberries, sliced strawberries, and raspberries (Pretty much any berry combination would work here. Blackberries are wonderful. Have fun with it.)
3 T cornstarch
1/4 c. apple juice
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 T unsalted butter, cut into bits

Preheat the oven to 450. In a large bowl, gently toss the berries with the cornstarch and apple juice, and let it sit for 15 minutes. Next, mix in the sugar and the cinnamon. Fit the bottom crust into a 9-inch pie pan, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Spoon the filling into the pie crust and dot with the butter.

Cut the remaining crust into half-inch strips (lengthwise). Twist each strip and arrange them in a lattice pattern on top of the filling. Trim the ends and flute the edges. Place on a cookie sheet. The cookie sheet is essential because the filling will definitely bubble up and out of the pan a little bit. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 55 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!

This is what it looks like when it first comes out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be classy while commenting, folks,
Thanks!
-Caitlin