Me

Me

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tomato and Mozzarella Tart

Hello, my followers (whoever you are). Sorry it's been a while since my last post. I've just been crazy busy. But I never forgot about my blog. (It's that dear to my heart.) So, with that being said, here is my latest delicious culinary creation. I made this savory tart a couple weeks ago. I know, I know--it took me a while to publish the recipe and picture of it. I'm bad. Sorry, guys :(
In my kitchen at home, I had several vine ripe tomatoes that looked so beautiful. I just couldn't not make something scrumptious without them. I also had a pie crust in the refrigerator, and I was not in the mood for something sweet, so I thought to myself, "Caitlin, why not make a savory pie or tart or something with those ingredients?" I was inspired by a tomato and mozzarella sandwich that one of my dearest friends makes from time to time, so I just went with it. Oh, Liz, you are such an inspiration and beautiful person. I love you.
This savory tart is the yummiest thing ever if you are hungry but do not want to be weighed down. As it cooks in the oven, the cheese bubbles and turns a light golden brown color in some areas, and the tomato slices become nice and soft, and the heat from the oven makes them simply delectable and tender. If you've ever had a Margherita pizza, you can probably imagine what I'm talking about. The tomato flavor just pops in your mouth, sending your taste buds on the scenic route to flavor town. The crust is buttery and pairs well with the tomato and mozzarella. I also brush the crust with herb-infused olive oil, adding another dimension of flavor. It's a pretty easy dish to make as well. I hope you all try to make this tart. Feel free to put your own creative spin on it, too. I know you won't regret it!
Ok, that's enough teasing for one day. Here's the recipe:

2 large vine-ripe tomatoes
1-8 oz. package of sliced mozzarella
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, and some set aside to drizzle on top
1 refrigerated pie crust ( I used Pillsbury. Just unroll and conform it to the pie pan)
1 T Italian herb seasoning
Cavender's Greek seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
Nonstick cooking spray
Pastry brush

Preheat oven to 375 F.
Pour olive oil into a small saucepan over low heat. Add the Italian herb seasoning and let it sit for a couple of minutes so that the herbs infuse into the olive oil. Spray the pan with nonstick spray.
Unroll the pie crust onto the pie pan and with the pastry brush, brush the crust with the herb olive oil. Set aside.
With a serrated-edge knife, core of the tomatoes. Don't cut all the way through to the bottom of the tomatoes, though. You just want the inner core taken out. Just use your knife and circle around the stem of the tomato with it, then go just a tad bit deep into it (about half an inch) so as to remove some of the seeds and core. Next, cut crosswise into thin slices.
Line the bottom of the tart shell with the mozzarella slices. On top of the cheese, arrange the tomato slices in a ring around the edge of the crust, overlapping each slice a little bit. Arrange the slices into another ring in the very center of the crust. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper, and Greek seasoning and drizzle a little olive oil on top. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese has started to brown in spots.
Cool on a rack for at least 5 minutes before slicing so that the tart can set up nicely.
Bon appetit!

Here's a visual:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be classy while commenting, folks,
Thanks!
-Caitlin