Me

Me

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mushroom Risotto

So....one of my absolute favorite dishes in this world is risotto. Being half-Italian, it would be a sin for me not to love it. When it's cold outside, and you want something that'll stick to your ribs and make you feel good all over, risotto isn't a bad way to go. Cooked slowly over the stovetop for an hour, the flavors really develop, and the aroma is bold enough to make the whole house smell wonderful.
One day while scrolling through recipes on Pinterest, I came across a recipe for asparagus risotto and decided to make it. I've had so many people re-pin the recipe to their Pinterest profile that I figured this dish would not disappoint me. Ok, so in case you're confused about why I'm talking about asparagus risotto when the title of the recipe is clearly "Mushroom Risotto," I will gladly clear up any confusion you may have. The night I wanted to make it, I went to the grocery to gather the ingredients, only to find that there was no fresh asparagus in the whole store. So, I improvised and bought mushrooms instead. I was not going to let the lack of fresh asparagus inhibit me at all.
I'm actually glad that the store was out of fresh asparagus that day because I was so pleasantly pleased with the way the risotto came out. I couldn't have asked for anything more delicious.
The fresh mushrooms contributed such an earthy flavor to the stewed rice dish, and the rice has a wonderful nutty quality to it from being lightly toasted in the pot before adding the chicken stock. Towards the end of the cooking process, I folded in some grated parmesan cheese, which added a salty, nutty bite that made the dish simply divine. This dish doesn't even need any salt because of the cheese. This risotto dish is simply perfection. Would you like to know how to make it? Ok. I thought you would. Here goes:

4 cups chicken stock
1 cup Arborio rice
1-8 oz. package of Baby Portabella (Cremini) mushrooms, chopped
Extra virgin olive oil
grated Parmesan  cheese to taste

Heat chicken stock in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring it to a simmer.
Meanwhile, in another pot on medium heat, pour just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the rice and stir often for 2-3 minutes or until it is light golden brown in color. Add  1/2 cup chicken stock and stir until the most of the liquid is absorbed, adding more stock in 1/2 cup increments.(Don't add more stock until the previous 1/2 cup is mostly absorbed into the rice.) Stir often to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan and so that the stock is evenly absorbed into the rice.Add the chopped mushrooms 5 minutes before the risotto is finished cooking. Continue cooking and stirring the rice until the rice is tender but still firm to the bite and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from heat and gently stir in the Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
*Note: You may need a little more or less of the chicken stock. Just keep an eye on it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be classy while commenting, folks,
Thanks!
-Caitlin